Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Guitar Hero Encore Rocks the 80s

So I've realized that I haven't touched Guitar Hero 2 in a while because the amount of effort required to "master"some of the tracks is frankly a bit beyond my interest. After playing mostly shooters I was looking to kill some time with something else at the store and I saw that Guitar Hero 80s was on sale at Best Buy. I wish I had read some of the reviews before I made my impulse buy.

The makers of the game basically took the Guitar Hero 2 code and added some neon and a few new outfits for the characters. The stages are the same and there are only 30 tracks/songs. At 39.99 I feel meh about the purchase but as the game is being sold at 49.99 elsewhere, it is overpriced. This game definitely feels like a cheap sell out to make some moolah, but at least it plays competently like its predecessor.

After experiencing the fiasco that is Guitar Hero 2 downloads on Xbox live, i was hoping that the PS2 would get slightly better treatment as it has been the platform that has had Guitar Hero from the beginning. In retrospect I suppose its better to get 30 tracks at 40 bucks instead of 3 tracks at 6.25 each on xbox live which greatly infuriates me and I even refuse to spend the free 1600 points i got at circuit city with my Xbox 360 Guitar Hero purchase.

With Guitar Hero 3 coming out and Rock Band in the works as well, I say wait for those instead of the 80s game unless you're a hardcore guitar hero fan who's looking for some new tracks on the PS2.

Verdict: Rent or Skip.

No comments: