Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Xbox 360 goodness

This will be my long overdue video game update.

Guitar Hero 2 Xbox 360:
Holy crap, this is amazing. We all already know my love affair with Guitar Hero on the PS2 so naturally when Guitar Hero was released for Xbox I was there on the day of the release at 10am waiting at my local Circuit City. They had a special promotion where you got 1600 free Microsoft Live points with purchase. Definitely a great deal, Flcn also ran to his Circuit City on his lunch break as well.

Differences between the two versions:
Gamewise, the games are pretty much the same. The Xbox version has 5.1 sound for those of you with a home theater setup, not me. There is an additional song per concert venue and Harmonix has definitely tried to balance its line up with songs that aren't as metally. Achievement points! I am an achievement point whore as long as the aren't ridiculously hard to get. For this very reason I have practically abandoned my PS2 version in order to get achievements and to see how I stack up on the Leaderboard. Lastly, the Xbox version allows you to download future songs that are released on Xbox Live definitely extending the time you will spend with this game.

Little complaints:
(1) Some guitars have had unresponsive whammy bars or suffer from delays. If you have a defective guitar, go exchange it at the place of purchase or you can google the fix online by taking it apart.
(2) The Xbox guitar just is not as comfortable. After logging serious time with both guitars, the PS2 guitar is hands down more comfortable. The whammy bar isn't as short and the Xbox guitar is a little more cramped. The buttons are slightly smaller and closer together, but the buttons are more stiff and will last through more wear and tear. The X shape of the guitar means that it jabs into my hand and gets uncomfortable during extended play, if they ever release a differently shaped or wireless guitar i would be tempted to buy it just to get away from the X shape of the current guitar.
(3) No online battles. You still can not battle a friend thru Xbox-live, major let down.

I anxiously wonder what kinds of new downloads will be on Xbox Live and when that will happen. Comon Harmonix.


HALO 3 BETA NEWS:
It has officially been announced that HALO3 Beta will go online May 16th. *Does a little Dance* After sludging through the Rule of 3 Beta sign up I am super excited. Also, anyone who wants in can still go buy a copy of Crackdown to play. It is great to know that Bungie and Microsoft are being super generous and letting the beta play run from May 16th to June 6th I believe. As colleges will be out of session the ISP's better be ready for a surge of traffic.

X Button: We finally know what the X Button will do in Halo3. It will activate devices/gadgetry! This is definitely a new step in Halo and will definitely change game play. Players will be able to throw down a bubble shield, a suicide mine for when you're about to get run over by a vehicle or throw down a launch pad allowing you to get to certain hard to reach spots.


Black Xbox:
Overrated. For that much money you only get a 120 gb hdd and a hdmi port which i could care less about and no HD-DVD playback. Why spend your money on it. I do wish Microsoft would sell a 120GB HDD for much less than it goes for. Another reason I don't download movies/shows on Xbox Live. Hasn't Sony's PS3 proven that people don't want a "media center" if its outrageously priced? Finally, in my opinion the black finish on the Xbox doesn't look as good as the shinier finish on the PS3. I think I'll pass unless someone wants to send me a free Xbox 360 Elite.

No comments: