Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Samsung SyncMaster 941BW

My Samsung SyncMaster 941BW arrived today and replaces a standard 17in panel. Put next to my old Samsung 940BW the two are identical except for a slightly wider bezel on the 941 (its barely noticeable unless you're me). with no difference in monitor heights and windows lining up when they span the two monitors, my OCD is now sated. In all seriousness, at $179 (after rebate) from Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001088, it's quite a steal. Widescreen 19 inch monitors don't offer the same amount of area as a standard 19in but it does allow me to put more windows side by side as well as enjoy widescreen dvds and video. The first thing I adjusted was the brightness on my monitor, it is blindingly bright if you leave it on the factory settings. The native resolution of the monitors are 1440x900 and Samsung is nice enough to ship both a DVI and VGA cable, good to see they don't skimp on their products. If you're in the market for a cheap new monitor give the 941bw a consideration. As it is not a higher end model with lots of extra features there are no USB ports, there is no height adjustment, and you cannot swivel the screen 90 degrees. Finally, the lcd panel does sit a bit low, something that should be considered before purchasing.

**I believe (just to the best of my understanding) the 941BW is merely the 940BW with a bezel that is a teensy bit wider. The screen specs are the same and height/width and stand are exactly the same otherwise. Buy whichever one is cheaper if you're shopping around.**

No comments: